Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Differences and Similarities

I don't want to forget about the assignment Kristen sprung on us so I guess I'll do it now.


Frankly, I'm not too surprised by what we learned during the assignment yesterday.  I learned that most fraternities and sororities under the same council have similar values, I also learned that IFC and PHA hasd a lot in common as overarching organizations.  


What I really enjoyed learning more about are Greeks from NPHC and MCGC because most people who are in Greek Life under IFC and PHA do not know that much about the other two councils and the greek life that falls under them. For example one of the other Resident Advisors in my building is in Alpha Kappa Alpha Inc. and to listen to her talk about the kinds of things they do - for example their step shows and the connection she has with her sisters. Yes I am very connected to my brothers, but I feel that their connection is different and nothing I could really understand unless I experienced it.


And I think this to an extent applies to any Greek organization, if they talk about ritual or what their organization values the most - it's something I might be able to comprehend, but how they as a person, or as an organization really feel about it isn't something I could really understand without experiencing it for myself.  It just adds to the bond that we all have within our own organizations.


But at the end of the day many of the core values are similar so we do all have that in common.  So we should learn from each others differences but also understand that we have lots of similarities.

2 comments:

  1. "So we should learn from each others differences but also understand that we have lots of similarities." I love that last line so much. great blog leo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed, leo (and melissa!). that is such a great point.. this system is such a convenient mix of having so much to offer each other and being similar enough to work together for common goals (rock the block, anyone?)

    ReplyDelete