Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Last Say

As I sit in the Center for Student Leadership not studying, it becomes difficult not to look back on this year, and all years.  I'm forced to think about the mistakes I've made, the friends I've lost, the days I just didn't work as hard as I should have.  But while thinking about the bad I can't help but think about the good too: the friends I have made, the tasks I've taken on, the life lessons I've learned, and how much I've grown as a person.


One of the most important lessons I think I've learned - and a little too late if I say so myself - is the time management.  At some point fall quarter between all the paperwork of being an R.A., having 17 credit hours - including two real actuarial classes - and pledging a Fraternity, I realized that I have to sleep sometime, which unfortunately meant giving up some of the other student orgs I did (aka ALL OF THEM) and pushing the R.A. job as much as I could without 1) getting fired and 2) pissing off my co....1 out of 2 isn't that bad right...and since I still have my job, you guys can only imagine what that means. Even what I did do was too much for me.  I was constantly stressed about school, my job, my future brothers.  Something that really showed me that I had made the right decision was that all the Brothers were all so willing to work with me every step of the way because they knew how hard I had to work to get where I was.  


But many of us have regrets, about things we'd do differently at any point in our various academic or social careers, and the only thing we can really do is remember what we've learned and know that what has happened is for the best and to learn for the future.


Let's be honest, at this point, Kristen and Tyler are probably the only ones reading this since we didn't have an assignment this week but I want to end all of this with a quote a friend of mine turned me on to that I really enjoyed:


"In my next life I want to live my life backwards. You start out dead and get that out of the way. Then you wake up in an old people's home feeling better every day. You get kicked out for being too healthy, go collect your pension, and then when you start work, you get a gold watch and a party on your first day. You work for 40 years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You party, drink alcohol, and are generally promiscuous, then you are ready for high school. You then go to primary school, you become a kid, you play. You have no responsibilities, you become a baby until you are born. And then you spend your last 9 months floating in luxurious spa-like conditions with central heating and room service on tap, larger quarters every day and then Voila! You finish off as an orgasm!"
— Woody Allen



1 comment:

  1. I had the same experience being stressed out. This spring taking 18 credits including Bio 113 and chem 122, volunteering 6 hours a week, and rushing a Fraternity there were days where I just wanted to crawl up in a ball and say screw it. One thing I have learned is that I am not the only one feeling this way, dont dwell on the regrets that you have, because everyone has them. You are right to just move on and learn from them

    ReplyDelete